Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Out with the old. In with the new.

This week my Monday was a little off. 


I always try to start the week off as organized as possible so that by Friday I still have something that at least resembles sanity/order. That did not happen this time. Consequently, I felt pressured to make my Tuesday even more productive, and it turned out pretty well. Though I got a semi late start to the day, I did get a good nights rest. I spent about five hours in the office before running a few errands and coming home to get to work. 


A lot of my favorite shows and web sites seem to recently stress the idea of less is more, removal of clutter, that type of thing. Since the school year is just three short weeks away, I decided this would be a great time to go through all of my clothes, shoes, books and just stuff to see what could go.


Oprah says (yes, I am one of those people who DVR's every episode) that if you haven't worn something in 6 months it's time to say good-bye, so I followed that rule when scouring my room. It wasnt as hard as I expected, and I now have a much clearer view of all my favorite clothes I can't live without. Success.


One of my favorite sites that is also currently endorsing this idea is zen habits. I stumbled upon this a while ago and one of their most recent posts definitely preaches a message we could probably all learn from. A few things it recommends that I will actively be attempting are:


less TV, more reading
less 
clutter, more space
less 
consuming, more creating
less junk, more 
real food
less 
busywork, more impact
less driving, more 
walking
less noise, more 
solitude
less focus on the 
future, more on the present









While I am extremely guilty of over consumption and tv obsession, the thought of spending my days reading, creating and focusing on the present doesn't sound so bad.

That last item, focusing on the present rather than the future is something that I really need to work on. I am very future oriented, always dreaming and imagining the next great thing I can do or buy. 

Current example: moving. I am always daydreaming about the next neighborhood I can try or how I will rearrange my things. I have moved every year of college, sometimes more than once. Growing up I lived in at least 10 different houses between both parents (probably more, I've honestly lost count). 

The jury is still out on whether or not this is healthy or normal, but for now, I love it. I love experimenting with different things. I thrive on change. I change my mind about a lot of things very frequently and a new home is a great way to reinvent yourself.

A problem with my big dreams (that is especially evident with my constant moves) is follow through. I get the idea, the resources, make the "move" and then there's no follow through. This time I will not let that happen.

I am more financially confident, focused and mature than ever, so I think I'm ready to have my first big girl place. I've begun browsing and I think there are some great but affordable places in some amazing neighborhoods around the city that I could really make into my own.

While this big move/plan is still in the premature stages, I am already very excited about it. Living a few blocks from campus is convenient, but I think I'm ready for bigger and better things. Stay tuned for all the details of my apartment hunt, decorating plans and mission to make a home that will actually satisfy me.

In other news, I have some amazing plans for the rest of the week and labor day weekend. This means I have a jam packed schedule. I may not be able to devote much time to blogging, but when I do return there will surely be much to say. I'll close with some current wants and one of my favorite quotes. I read it when I need to feel inspired or before I start my day.

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race. -Calvin Coolidge

current favorite finds





I'm all about watches and this color is perfect

you can not beat a good planner

cute, functional, and green


planner option #2

More to come,


No comments:

Post a Comment